1.20.2009

Live blogging a bit...

John Boenher looks like someone killed his dog.

HW looking much older than Jimmy Carter (they're both 84).




!!!Dick Cheney IS Mr. Potter from It's a Wonderful Life.!!! Or Dr. Strangelove...or maybe a combination of the two.




Let the tears flow...




Rick Warren....blech....but not horrible....so far. Seems like they're running behind schedule...
What happens if he's not sworn in by noon?




Shot of Biden and Obama sitting at what looks like a little table, possibly playing Ms Pac Man....




At this point Biden's been sworn in, so I think he's the president if they don't make the noon deadline. Maybe that was his clever plan all along.




Itzhak Perlman looks like Antonin Scalia.




Quartet playing in front of a large group of heavily armed men...




It is accomplished....




Revered Lowery was awesome.



And Obama gave a tough speech. This was not a namby pamby bit of stagecraft.

8 comments:

Stephen Cummings said...

I was at work, so I streamed the speech over lunch. I also have it on DVR at home, so Cheri and I can watch it tonight.

Dan said...

Saw in theatre, as planned. I actually started taking notes by hand for a little after-the-fact "live blog" post. I had some decent ruminations, but eventually thought it was starting to infringe upon my enjoyment of the moment. May still post what I did, but I will just note: most powerful moment for me was B.O. emerging through the doors of the Capitol building with an African American marine standing at salute as he passed by. What the hell was going through that marine's mind, at that moment?

Mighty Tom said...

we watched it in school today - a nice change of plans

amazing

one young student stood up for the entire speech, as did I

Pat said...

He probably had to pee.

You ignored his plea.

C.F. Bear said...

Maybe he was standing to salute the exiting G.W.Bush.

Stephen Cummings said...

Wow, the crowd absoultely crapped on W. Not that I'm a fan, but I found myself wanting just a tad bit more reverence, if not for the man, at least for the office he's vacating.

Of course, my own blog posts do not suggest reverence, so I've got nothing to say here.

Dan said...

I'm kind of with Pat M (and the crowd) on this one. GW did not respect the office. At best, his incompetence and terrible motives have causes damage that will take a long time to come back from (or, in the case of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives, never come back from). At worst - he may have potentially set our planet on a course in which we are irrevocably fucked. You can't respect that. That's like standing up to "respect" the office of Emporer Palpatine.

Pat said...

I didn't listen to the network feed for most of the time and missed any large scale disrespect of W. I've read accounts of people on the mall doing the 'na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye' bit, and that's pretty harmless. No one egged his helicopter, or threw Cheney down some stairs, so I consider it a generally respectful event.

I actually heard Joe Lieberman got some pretty big boos. That makes me proud to be an American.