7.30.2005

No more jackhammer, PLEASE!

I've shot my wad, physical exertion-wise, in the past. Long days spent hauling gravel and building stuff in the yard and around the house. Long days spent hiking with a pack. But in every case that I can remember, it took most of a day to really get exhausted.

As I sit here typing I have just completed the removal of a 9 or 10 inch thick concrete slab about 42 inches square. Not big by any means, but oh that thickness. In order to remove the slab I had tried various things in the past, including sledge hammers and big rotary hammers, to no avail. This time I rented an 80lb jackhammer from Home Depot and resolved to get it done in the 4 hour rental time.

The first couple of hours were ok, tiring but not crazily so. The actual jackhammering I think I could do all day, but picking up and moving that 80lbs really took its toll. The second half almost did me in. It didn't help that the last part I had to do turned out to be the hardest. By far. So with time ticking by and my ability to lift that jackhammer running out, I did manage to complete the task I set for myself. Then I had to take the hammer back to HD, and I found that even after I managed to get it into the back of the car, it was all I could do to turn the wheel of the car. I literally had used up all my energy.

So now I think I'll choose to nap, lest the nap choose me.

You have been warned.

4 comments:

Dan said...

My "tearing up backyard slabs" experiences have been a lot less hi-fi. But luckily, I've been working with asphalt, rather than concrete. I get sore, but not as sore as you will be, by the sounds of it.

I'm still trying to figure out your last sentence. Warned? About what?? Was that some kind of a threat???

Pat said...

Warned about jackhammers.

I did try the less 'hi-fi' methods, to no avail. Short of prison work, breaking up that slab with a sledge, is the job for no man. Too much time and too much pain.

I didn't end up being sore at all. I was simply out of gas, with a tank more empty than I've ever experienced.

Dan said...

Oh, man-you actually tried to break the concrete with just a sledge hammer? Ack-that's a good way to waste some time-and make searing cold pain shoot through your limbs while you're at it.

Pat said...

I tried a handful of whacks with the sledge once upon a time. I'm too lazy to not realize what's good for me.