3.23.2009

En See Double Ugh (updated yet AGAIN!)

For the first time in 25 years (at least) I filled out no bracket. I did watch some games on Saturday. Most of them were ugly. Power teams beating up on the also rans.

And the sweet sixteen is made up of all four number 1s, 2s, 3s, two 4's, a 5 and a 12 (and the 12 is Arizona? yuck).

It may say a lot about the ability of the selection committee to pick the seeds correctly, or it may say that men's basketball has devolved to women's basketball, where there are the teams that always win and there is everyone else. What a dispiriting state of affairs.



3/27/09
Glad to see Duke and Memphis go down. Duke, for obvious reasons (long standing irrational hatred), and Memphis because they always strike me as one of those teams that doesn't even pretend to care about the players being students. That may be unfounded, but that's how it strikes me.

What I saw of MO was impressive. Add in my Big 12 loyalties and I think I have my favorite.

3/28/09
OK - yeah.
Louisville - boo. Pitino and Calipari are really my least favorite coaches.
NC -boo, though any love I had for the erst-while insurgent Gonzaga is long gone.
MSU - yeah.

Go MSU, MO, OK, and....Pittsburgh? Truly Pitt vs Villanova is a battle against apathy for me.

3/30/09
MSU - woo!
OK - good lord, such terrible 3-point shooting I've rarely seen. Nerves or intimidation is the only answer - the defense from NC wasn't that good.

So, I guess that leaves me hoping for an MSU - Villanova final, anything to keep the perennial favorites out. My irrational hatred of Roy Williams is strong, as is my dislike of Tyler Hansbrough (Mary Poppins - "we are not a codfish" - close your mouth dude!). CT, with their near total domination of women's basketball, just needs the smack down.

Can MSU beat CT? They certainly played well against a Louisville team that strikes me as similar to CT, though not the same. CT has a better half court offense and defense.

Can Villanova beat NC. Hell yes. Even if OK had shot poorly from 3 (as opposed to abyssmally) they could have won the game. NC is just not that good. They are solid, but like all Roy Williams teams, they lack heart.

12 comments:

Dan said...

I don't know about that. George Mason went to the Final Four in 2006. Wisconsin (as a 6 or something) did a couple of years before that.

I love an upset about as much as anyone out there. But I do realize that, if too many Cinderellas won each year, it would make each of those victories a little less sweet.

Hansonm: (def) Good looking when asleep.

Pat said...

If you add up the seeds in the sweet 16:
2009 = 49 total seed points
2008 = 70
2007 = 51
2006 = 71
2005 = 71
2004 = 73
2003 = 64
2002 = 73

That's as far as I could find conveniently, but I think this year sucks ass. 2007 also sucked ass.

Pat said...

Arizona accounts for 1/4 of all the seed points.

Dan said...

I don't disagree that this year doesn't have too much going on. I just dispute that men's basketball has "devolved." One year does not a trend make. Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's what it sounded like.

Lismonde: (def) A French village that is the reputed origin of the soufflé.

Pat said...

We shall see - 2 out of 3 years...

Mighty Tom said...

I see what you say - I watched a bit on Friday night, and that was just about it.

I see what you say, but man, there is still some pretty good basketball being played - the Dukes, the North Carolinas, and yes, the Arizonas.

What about Missouri - pretty dang exciting.

Pat said...

Apparently I missed all the good basketball. What I saw was higher seeds blowing out their competition. It was gross.

Stephen Cummings said...

I shall go through my entire life and never fill out a bracket. I can take maybe one game every so often. I really shouldn't participate in this thread.

typir: A crappy typist.

Mighty Tom said...

I'm with MO as well - and I aint talkin no stooges neither

love to see them take down UCOnn

Pat said...

You always were a MO lover.

C.F. Bear said...

I have not done a bracket in at least 6 years. I guess ISU has not been there in awhile?

College is still better than the NBA in my book.

Mighty Tom said...

nice Poppins quote by the way